MIDI, snd-serial-u16550 and dropped notes

I'm actually having what I think are two different problems with
dropped notes, but let's focus on the easier one first...

snd-serial-u16550 appears to drop notes when CTS is raised/lowered.

If I send large amounts of data to a port from the PC, the receiving
serial device eventually raises CTS to avoid an internal overflow of
the MIDI port.  The serial driver does pause transmission, but when
CTS is cleared, the serial driver appears to send the next byte
correctly, but then drops a half dozen or so bytes before correctly
resuming transmission.   Is this a configuration problem?  Expected
behavior?  If I'm reading the driver code correctly, the default
should be "Normal blocking buffer operation", right?

On the PC (sending) side, I'm running kernel 2.6.35-24 (Ubuntu 10.10)
and Alsa 1.0.23.
I do:
setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
modprobe snd-serial-u16550
with alsa-base.conf options set to
port=0x03f8 irq=4 adaptor=4 speed=115200 ins=3 outs=3

Receiving device is of my design, with a 256 byte circular
buffer...when the buffer is within 16 bytes of overflowing, CTS is
raised, and stays raised until there's at least 32 bytes available.

I'm using a logic analyzer to look at the data on the serial lines,
sending a chromatic cluster of 64+ notes with delta times of 0 using
aplaymidi.

John