Help configuring HDSP9632

Hi guys,

I've been trying off and on for weeks now, but I can't get my RME
HDSP9632 configured under ALSA properly.

(Is it me or does ALSA really not make this an easy process? I can't
find anywhere to get any feedback from the system on configuration
errors. Hell, if you make a typo in the config file, you only find out
because of some scary-looking output from aplay. The docs on the website
seem to be quite old and often conflict with each other and I can't find
any relevant man pages.)

Anyhow, the card works out of the box, insofar as it lets one
application play sound through it at a time. So I'm trying to do the
common thing of configuring dmix to let multiple applications output
sound at once. Nothing fancy, really! At least, at this point.

My /etc/asound.conf file is as follows (pieced together from tuts and
the like):

----------------------------
pcm.!default {
	type plug
	slave.pcm hdsp9632_dmix
	hint {
		show on
		description "Default device: Plugs into hdsp9632_dmix."
	}
}

ctl.hdsp9632_dmix {
	type hw
	card 0
}

pcm.hdsp9632_dmix {
	type dmix
	ipc_perm 0660
	ipc_key 1025
	ipc_key_add_uid false
	slave {
		pcm "hw:0,0"
		rate 44100
		channels 2
		period_size 1024
		buffer_size 4096
	}
	bindings {
		0 0
		1 1
	}
	hint {
		show on
		description "hdsp9632_dmix: The dmix plugin - plugs into hdsp9632."
	}
}
----------------------------

Using this file, I get

# aplay -L
null
default
    Default device: Plugs into hdsp9632_dmix.
hdsp9632_dmix
    hdsp9632_dmix: The dmix plugin - plugs into hdsp9632.

which is what I hope for. But, if I try and play something with vlc, I
get an error message and "No AutoSync source for requested rate" comes
up in dmesg. The card is currently set to clock master at the same
sample rate as the audio (44.1kHz).

If anyone can shed any light on what I'm doing wrong (and, ideally, some
methodology on configuring ALSA which doesn't require scrabbling around
in the dark!), I will be grateful until the end of time.

Thanks a lot,
Matt