Re: Alsamixer questions

On 05/02/11 18:33, Bill Unruh wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Feb 2011, Torquil Macdonald Sørensen wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> On my Asus X5DID laptop I have an internal microphone, a "mic in", as
>> well as a
>> "line out", and of course internal speakers. The sound card is:
>>
>> tmac@asus ~$ lspci -s 02:00.1 -v
>> 02:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio
>> Controller (rev a1)
>> Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 1312
>> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
>> Memory at faf7c000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
>> Capabilities: <access denied>
>> Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
>>
>> In the alsamixer "playback" section I have:
>>
>> Master, Headphone, Speaker, PCM, Mic Boost, Beep, Internal Mic Boost 1
>>
>> In the "recording" section I have:
>>
>> Mic Boost, Capture, Capture 1, Digital, Internal Mic Boost 1
>>
>> I have a couple of questions:
>>
>> 1) What are the "Mic Boost" and "Internal Mic Boost 1" faders doing in
>> the
>> "playback section"? I have no "mic through" signal anyway, i.e. I
>> cannot monitor
>> the microphone input (internal mir or mic in) in realtime without
>> routing the
>> signal manually using e.g. jackd. They don't seem to be related to
>> playback.
>
> AFAIK, the mixer items are as reported by the cards. Ie, it is not alsa
> that
> presents these but the card manufacturer, so it is the card manufacturer
> that
> would have to explain them.

Thanks, I did not know that. Actually, I'll look into the possibility of
changing the listed faders in the mixer, but it's not a big deal as long as I
remember how to use them.

I must say, it is really cool to get an answer about this from a notable
physicist as such as yourself! I have learned a bit about the Unruh effect
earlier, and I think another student did a Master's degree on that subject under
Prof. John Magne Leinaas here in Oslo, so I recognized your name immediately...

Well, thanks again for the info.

Best regards
Torquil Sørensen