Why does it take so many keypresses to increase volume by 1% in alsamixer?

While using my Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro USB Sound card, I have to press Up 48 times, or PgUp 19 times to increase the volume in alsamixer by 1%.  I haven't used this card in some time, but I dont remember it being like that before.  Can the step-size be adjusted? I can't seem to find anything about it in the man pages.

Thanks,
Andre