Inconsistent audio capture using M-Audio Fast Track Pro usb card

I am using an "m-audio fast track pro" usb sound card in conjunction
with ALSA version 1.0.23.  I'm currently experiencing some problems
using this card's analog capture device.

I am using the following command to test the capture device:

arecord -c 1 -f cd -D plughw:1,1 test.wav

This command usually works, and I am able to capture a clear audio
signal.  However, on some invocations of arecord the captured signal
is heavily amplified with lots of digital clipping.  Furthermore, once
this problem appears, subsequent invocations of arecord continue to
produce an amplified, heavily distorted signal until the usb device is
power cycled.  Once the device is reset, the captured signal is at a
normal volume until the problem randomly occurs again.  I haven't been
able to predict when the problem is going to occur but I'd guess that
the captured signal is distorted about five percent of the time.

I'm new to ALSA.  Can anyone shed some light on what might be
happening here?  I'm also interested in hearing the experiences of
others who are using an m-audio fast track pro.

.Lewis