Playback getting stuck

Hello,

I've been having a playback problem recently, and have been looking at
trying to determine the cause.  On my PC, audio is playing continuously,
mostly for background noise.  Recently I've been trying upgrade to a
newer PC, trying to keep things as similar as possible.  For some reason
audio playback gets stuck after a long time (it repeats the last half
second of audio, and the player's time counter stops increasing).  I can
stop the player and restart it again, and it will work for many hours.
I have the player set to use plughw:0,0 as the output.

One of the behaviors I see in /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/status is
that the hw_ptr and appl_ptr are very different:

state: RUNNING
trigger_time: 154.109259874
tstamp      : 64590.994415958
delay       : 22048
avail       : 0
avail_max   : 0
-----
hw_ptr      : 1444936032
appl_ptr    : 20352

When I 'cat status' a number of times, the only field I see that changes
is the tstamp.  I'm curious as to whether these ptr values are
reasonable after a long playback (and if an update to
alsa-lib/alsa-driver or tweaked parameter to a module might prevent it
from getting stuck).  When I restart the player, I see that the ptr
values are more reasonable (hw_ptr + delay = appl_ptr).

The OS is Debian Lenny, with alsa-driver and alsa-lib both at 1.0.19 (a
little older, will upgrade over the weekend if that should help)
The old PC had a VIA chipset/CPU, with the VIA 8237 controller and the
ALC655 codec.
The new PC has an Atom D525 chip, with the Realtek ALC662 rev1 HDA codec.

Thanks!

-Ron