Re: Basic S/PDIF Recording

Paul Braman wrote:
> S/PDIF data is being captured by a Wolfson WM8804 S/PDIF Digital
> Interface Transceiver (or similar) and streamed over USB by a Texas
> Instruments TAS1020B USB Streaming Controller. There are more
> complicated issues regarding exactly what data is transmitted

The WM8804 transmits samples in standard IÂS format, like an ADC.

> but perhaps my biggest concern is how to make sure I take into account
> the possibility of changing bitrates.

What does your TAS1020B firmware do when the S/PDIF source changes its
sample rate?

> That is, the S/PDIF bitrate may change based on content and I don't
> want a period/buffer too large lest I get high latency

When capturing, the buffer size does not affect the latency (because you
can read data as soon as it is available), so you can make the buffer as
large as possible to avoid underruns.

Smaller periods give you higher precision for the current position, but
slightly higher power usage due to the higher interrupt frequency.

Regards,
Clemens