hdmi audio scratchy

hi,

i am running ubuntu 10.04, updated to the current proprietary Nvidia graphics driver and unmuted the S/PDIF outputs in alsamixer.

finally got sound to go over hdmi to my tv...but, the quality is not so good.

I get the same results no matter if i use the delivered alsa drivers ( 1.0.21 i think ), or if i manually compile alsa 1.0.23

the bizarre thing is that when i do:
aplay -D plug:hdmi /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

the quality is PERFECT.  no cracking, static, etc...

but when I put a DVD in, or listen to a radio station via rhythmbox, or an mp3 in audacious, the quality is not so hot.  it is almost listen-able, but not quite.

could someone please point me to a configuration I am missing that might help me?
or could someone please explain the quality discrepency between the .wav file and other audio file types?

do i NEED a ~/.asoundrc file?  if so, what should the contents be?  I've seen differing opinions on this issue.

Really appreciate any help
Thanks
Andy

aplay -l
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

aplay -L
null
pulse
    Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0