Re: Basic PCM Recording

Well, so far no-one has been able to sufficiently answer my inquiry
about how proper default ALSA sound capture should be coded. I've done
enough research to know that my program is getting an underrun
condition on the read. Fine.

My question remains...

When I set the hardware parameters, who should I need to set the
period and/or buffer size/time? Isn't the default acceptable? If not,
why not and how do I code around it?

I've seen "simple capture examples" that just set the period size to
"32" and leave everything else untouched. Is that a good default for
all soundcards? If not, how do I discover what that default should be?

Here's my angle ... using OSS I could ask the driver to set its own
block size for best performance and I would just ask for that size and
use it. Never any problem. ALSA doesn't seem to have that concept as
far as I can tell. So, since all I want to do is capture audio from
any soundcard I choose and record it to a file (I don't care much
about perfect latency behavior) what the heck should a generic ALSA
capture program do?

Paul Braman