How to cross-compile alsa-lib?

Hi,
I am trying to cross compile alsa-lib using the tool chain from my chip vendor. This has  been done before (not sure by whom) so I know that tool chain works. However, when I run ./configure script:
CC=MY_TOOL_CHAIN ./configure --target=arm-linux --host=arm --enable-shared  -disable-static

as output I get that:

configure:8812: checking whether the MY_TOOL_CHAIN linker supports shared libraries
configure:9803: result: yes

configure:11392: checking if libtool supports shared libraries
configure:11394: result: no
configure:11397: checking whether to build shared libraries
configure:11418: result: no.

I am not sure why alsa needs special libtool and not use the libtool installed on the system?

Thank you
Ogi