Re: US-122L only MIDI?

Kilian Sprotte <kilian.sprotte@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I am giving up with the Tascam US-122L, hopefully I will have more
> success with the edirol UA-25 EX.
>
> Is there any other USB interface with good sound quality that you
> favor?

Well, I am using a Hammerfall DSP Multiface with a PC-card interface.
As opposed to USB buses, you have good latencies/response on PC-card
(data transfer does not need the CPU at all, so you just need reasonable
interrupt response times).  I still don't get xrun-free operation
without using an rt kernel and the rtirq-init package.  And pulseaudio
has hickups in Flash and wants tsched=0 in Ubuntu 10.04, but jack runs
fine.  On the plus side, quality is good, you have 8 balanced analog ins
and outs, 8-channel ADAT in/out, word clock in/out (so you can use more
than one unit if really necessary), Midi in/out, SPDIF in/out (optical
if you don't use ADAT, and coax anyway), and can go 96/24 if you want,
and the analog circuits don't make a mockery of that mode.  And you have
crossbar mixing capabilities.  On the down side, you still need mic
preamps.

If you can manage to get to your memory bus without going through USB at
all (Cardbus or so), you have somewhat more reassuring prospects to get
low-latency jobs (like real-time effects) and dropless operation going.
The Hammerfall sounded like a good proposition to me in that respect.

Also because I don't think ASIO generally works with Linux USB, but then
I might be mistaken here.

--
David Kastrup