Problems with analog 5.1 audio

Hi all.

I've got a problem I was hoping some of you could shed some light on. I
first described the problems on the Ubuntu Forum:

Basically, my Zotac ION won't output proper six-channel analog surround
audio. This is what I get when I run speaker-test:

eric@gimli:~$ speaker-test -c 6 -t wav -D surround51
speaker-test 1.0.23
Playback device is surround51
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 6 channels
WAV file(s)
Channels count (6) not available for playbacks: Invalid argument
Setting of hwparams failed: Invalid argument

ALSA version is 1.0.23. Additional info (such as the output from 'aplay
-L' and 'aplay -l') can be found in the forum thread.

At this point, I'm taking any and all advice on how to proceed. Any
troubleshooting tips you can provide me with?

Best regards,

Eric