M-audio fast track pro on ubuntu

Hello,

I recently purchased an M-Audio Fast Track Pro, and am trying to get it
running with Jack on my ubuntu (lucid) box.  Out of the box I am able to
use it, but Jack will only initialize at 16 bits, and more importantly
for me, the digital inputs and outputs are not accessible.

I attempted to follow the instructions here:
http://www.joegiampaoli.com/blog/?p=462 , but was met with an unbootable
box.  I applied the patch from that link to the ubuntu
linux-image-2.6.31-11-rt source package, and was able to compile and
boot, but still don't have access to the digital inputs and outputs on
the m-audio box.  In fact, I am unable to get Jack to initialize for
capture at all (I'm getting the message "impossible sample width (1)
discovered!"), although I think this may be the way I have configured Jack.

At any rate, I'm kind of at my wits' end.  Can anyone tell me whether it
is possible to get this card working, and if so point me in the right
direction?

Thanks very much,

--Mike