Output hang with snd_ice1712

I have just built a new Gentoo system and I'm trying to get the
sound working. Everything looks correct until I try to play something.
If I "aplay xx.wav", I get a message about the format of the file, and
then nothing. No sound, aplay does not exit. No cpu usage shown in top.
This is using an M-Audio Delta 1010LT sound card.

If I recompile the kernel and include the sound card present on the
motherboard, aplay works normally.

If I run my application which I wrote, I get similar results. Nothing happens
for several seconds, and then I get the message
"short write, write 2/44 frames"
Several seconds later, I get the message
"error from writei: Input/output error"
This message is repeated every 8 seconds or so.

Both messages I generate from a snd_pcm_writei() call.
The first message indicates that snd_pcm_writei() returned 2,
when I was expecting it to return 44.
The second repeated message means snd_pcm_writei() returned
a negative number, and I called snd_strerror().

Using the motherboard sound card, my application works normally,
including MIDI input from the M-Audio card.

Help! What's wrong?

Rich

--
Rich Wilson