Re: Problem(?) when reloading modules.

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Paul Menzel
<paulepanter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 30.05.2010, 12:49 -0700 schrieb VDR User:
>> Whenever I reload my audio driver, I get the following:
>>
>> FATAL: Error running install command for snd_seq
>> WARNING: Error running install command for snd
>>
>> I'm reloading by unloading all the associated modules
>
> How? `sudo modprobe -r snd_hda_intel`?

Using rmmod to unload them.

>> and `sudo
>> modprobe snd_hda_intel`.  What do these lines mean and how do I fix
>> it?  I don't see them on a fresh boot, only when reloading the driver.
>
> Do you only see those messages or do you also experience some
> disfunctionalities?

I haven't noticed any actual problems so I'll say only see them so far.

> Did you find something on the Web?

I did try google'ing first but didn't find anything useful.

> Maybe you could pass `--verbose` to `modprobe`? (See `man modprobe`.)
>
>> Many thanks.
>>
>> For reference, here's my /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
>
> […]
>
> What distribution do you use. I guess you should check with them and
> report back here.

I'm using Debian.  Somebody suggested to just comment out the
following line from /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf:

install snd /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd && { /sbin/modprobe
--quiet snd-ioctl32 ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet snd-seq ; }

I did that and now the messages are gone.  Rebooted the box to make
sure it still works from there and yup, still working.  I don't know
if there's anything bad about removing that however.