ALC262 problems on Toshiba Portege R500

Hello,

In order to troubleshoot audio on a Toshiba Portege R500, what do
the people on this list suggest I use? Ubuntu? Knoppix? Suse?
Slackware? Other? What version? Any special Alsa version I should
be using to increase my chances of success?

My problems:

I recently bought a used Toshiba Portege R500 (R500-11Z to be
exact) laptop which uses a Realtek ALC262 audio chip. It came
installed with Vista, but I use Debian so I installed that
instead, after making a dd copy of Vista.

When Debian was installed, I couldn't get any sounds from the
machine, no matter what I did. I couldn't remember if audio was
OK in Vista, so I restored the dd Vista image to test. In Vista,
at first I thought there was no audio either, but then, using
headphones in a quiet room, I could hear some very faint sounds
(barely audible) with all audio levels maxed. The situation is
the same in WinXP; I can barely hear test sounds, and playing
music I can just about hear that some sounds are produced, but I
can't make out what music is playing, that's how low the volume
is.

I'm now guessing that the situation is the same in Debian, that I
actually had audio working but at a ridiculously low volume
level, but I didn't test with headphones then, just with the
speakers, and the sounds from the hard drive and fan are way too
loud (quiet as they are) to make any faint sounds from the
speakers audible considering how hard it is to hear them with
headphones. I haven't reinstalled Debian to verify this, as I'm
now asking here what distribution you guys suggest I use for
troubleshooting.

It's not a mute issue; using mute the faint sounds disappear
completely, and using the volume slider I can make the sounds
even fainter until they completely disappear when cranked down to
about 45. It's not the volume knob at the side of the laptop
either, I've used it to turn audio up to 100 and down to (below)
45 in Windows.

I have done some troubleshooting in Windows with different
drivers (MS and Realtek), asked on Toshiba forums etc., and I
even bought a new (used) audio/USB module on ebay in case there
was a hardware problem. No luck.

The mic, jack detection, volume knob and USB socket on the
audio/USB module work fine, and Windows diagnostic tools says the
audio device is working OK, so I don't think it's a hardware
problem or that it's not getting enough power from the
motherboard.

So now I want to make another attempt at getting audio to work in
Linux, as I don't seem to get anywhere troubleshooting in
Windows. Which is where this mailing list comes in. I usually use
Debian unstable and compile a customized kernel, but in order to
troubleshoot the audio, what do the people on this list suggest I
use? Ubuntu? Knoppix? Suse? Gentoo? What version? Any special
Alsa version I should be using to increase my chances?

Has anyone experienced similar problems with ALC262 (or similar
chips) and have a solution ready? I've done extensive googling,
but might have missed something...

I'll be happy to post any lspci output, debug messages from dmesg
etc. as soon as I've reinstalled with whatever distribution and
version people on this list suggest.

/L