Silence after handling xrun (sometimes) - best way to handle?

Hi there,

Can anyone suggest a good, clean way of handling xruns? I'm using ALSA
for an embedded platform (TX25 (ARM i.MX25 processor) using an
SGTL5000 - I2S audio) and sometimes my duplex audio stream goes
completely silent after an xrun. Then, after another xrun (or a
couple, or a few, or a lot...) audio returns.

At the moment, to handle an xrun I call snd_pcm_drop() and
snd_pcm_prepare(). The only other thing I can think of to guarantee
the audio returns is to completely stop and restart the stream, but
I'd much rather find a better solution!

If anyone could suggest how to go about this, I'd be very grateful.

John G