Re: virtual sound card definition

Hello,

You have wrote:

**************************************
> > ?? For what is good to define PCMs in my .asoundrc,
> > if NO apps let me
> > > use them ??
>
> I think that it's problem of these applications, not
> ALSA itself. I would
> be loud and ask authors of these apps why they hardwired
> something.
>
> Could you send a list these apps? Perhaps we can push
> authors together.

Yes, You are right, but reality is so.

In attachment I send few screen shots for demonstration. Only twikle
let me define PCMs manually.

-- sorry - attachments too big for this list.

Also - problematic apps e.g.: ekiga, linphone, VLC player

Problem is also with Pulseaudio, which occupy the sound card(s) on "hw:x.z"
level, so other "alsa" a can't play  simultaneously if Pulseaudio plays.
It would by good, if I could force Pulseaudio to use the card via Dmix/Plug
layer.
Any Idea how to do it ?

> > They use direct (?) the hardware (probably e.g. with
> > "hw:0") - so I can
> > > not to force them to use (by me) defined pcm (e.g.
> > with dmix, plug,
> > > ...).
>
> You may overwrite the hw device, too. But it might
> have some consequences
> in the system.

***********************
And how, please ?
***********************

> Jaroslav
>
> -----
> Jaroslav Kysela <perex@xxxxxxxx>
> Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
> ALSA Project, Red Hat, Inc.

Example for need of virtual card def. by VoIP telephony:

I have one sound card, e.g. with quatro output.
I wish to ringing and other system sounds (Pulseaudio) to go to "front"
speakers and VoIP speaking to go to "rear" output (with headphones on
it) so not whole office can hear the conversation.

If I could to force the VoiP client to use concrete PCM - it would be
OK, but they let me do that.

I had to resign and I had buy second sound card :-(

I thing, that ALSA itself could help with such Problems:
--- with the virtual sound card definition ---

In some cases would help, if by me defined PCMs would appear in "aplay
-L" - I think It should be so in any case !

I hope, You will help me.

--kapetr