ALSA doesn't support the maximal sample resolution on ASUS X51R (ALC660-VD)

Hi,

I have an ASUS X51R, and I recently switched to Linux (Mint) - ALSA + PulseAudio.

At first glance it seemed that the sound worked out of the box, but after some time I noticed that the sound sample resolution is 16 bit. I started digging in forums and learned about alsa-base.conf and how to determine the codec used by my sound card etc.

The sound card is an ATI SBx00 Azalia, which is an Intel HDA card. The codec is ALC660-VD. The specifications for this card state that it should support up to 32-bit sound, but after trying all models for this codec from HD-Audio-Models.txt, I still couldn't find a combination that would report supporting more than 16-bits sound sample resolution.

In the end I ran the ALSA information script and if I understand correctly, the 32-bit audio is for digital sound, for which the X51R has no output jack, but all analog outputs report supporting up to 24-bit samples.

So, my question is, should my sound card support 24-bit output and what can I do to achieve it with ALSA and Pulse Audio?

I've uploaded the output of the info script at: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=ac16096f0e98d8beebe62f2c1df199bb25874f33

Thanks in advance for any help/information.

Mihail