Problem with ALSA sound format?

Hi there - I'm fairly new to ALSA & Linux sound in general, and was
wondering if someone could help me out with an issue.

Basically, the sound on my embedded device is very noisy (you cannot
make out speech, but you can make out the "general rhythm" as it
were), and I think the issue is to do with sample formats. The sample
I'm trying to play is a stereo signed 16 bit little endian sample,
e.g:

$ file bugs.wav
bugs.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16
bit, stereo 48000 Hz

But when I try and play it, it seems to want to play it in signed [b]8
bit[/b] format - even if I try and enforce signed 16 bit format with
--format=S16_LE:

$ aplay -v --format=S16_LE bugs.wav
Playing WAVE 'bugs.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo
Plug PCM: Copy conversion PCM
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : RW_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S8
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 48000
  exact rate   : 48000 (48000/1)
  msbits       : 16
  buffer_size  : 24000
  period_size  : 6000
  period_time  : 125000
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  avail_min    : 6000
  period_event : 0
  start_threshold  : 24000
  stop_threshold   : 24000
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 1572864000
Slave: Hardware PCM card 0 'UCB1400' device 0 subdevice 0
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S8
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 48000
  exact rate   : 48000 (48000/1)
  msbits       : 16
  buffer_size  : 24000
  period_size  : 6000
  period_time  : 125000
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  avail_min    : 6000
  period_event : 0
  start_threshold  : 24000
  stop_threshold   : 24000
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 1572864000
  appl_ptr     : 0
  hw_ptr       : 0

Any ideas where to start looking for/solving this problem?

Any help appreciated!

John G