Re: Surround sound over S/PDIF with M Audio Delta 1010LT

Solved it!!! :D
After a couple of hours of trying different combinations of settings I
finally found what was wrong!

For AC3 or DTS pass through in Envy24Control must be set:
  -Hardware Settings:Professional:Data-Mode = Non-audio
  -Patchbay/Router:S/PDIF OUT (L) = S/PDIF OUT (L)
  -Patchbay/Router:S/PDIF OUT (R) = S/PDIF OUT (R)

For playing ordinary PCM-sound (everything else):
  -Hardware Settings:Professional:Data-Mode = Audio
  -Patchbay/Router:S/PDIF OUT (L) = Digital Mix L
  -Patchbay/Router:S/PDIF OUT (R) = Digital Mix R

I got passthrough working in Xine by realising there was a slider bar
on the right (doh!) and a lot more settings than I first thought.
I set speaker arrangement to pass throught (this is an option if Alsa
is the driver).

With mplayer I used: mplayer -ao alsa:noblock:device=iec958 -ac hwdts <FILE>
If its an AC3 stream I used -ac hwac3
To determine if its AC3 or DTS I just start playback without -ac
option and see what mplayer thinks it is, there is probably an
automatic way to do this but I havent found it.

I have some lingering questions:
 -Can I somehow fix so I dont have to use Envy24control to change
these settings? Can I do it dynamiclly on the fly?
 -Is thera a option to autodetect which option to use e.g automaticlly
use -hwac3 or -hwdts?

Cheers!
/nisse

--