Re: Surround sound over S/PDIF with M Audio Delta 1010LT

Op Thu, 07 Jan 2010 00:35:08 +0100 schreef Nils Erik Svangård
<nilserik@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi!
> I'm having trouble getting surround sound working with my M Audio
> Delta 1010LT over S/PDIF.
>
> When I run:
>> speaker-test -Dplug:surround40 -c4 -l1 -twav
>
> It seems that all channels have been mixed into my two front speakers,
> no sound on my two rear speakers.
> I have tried playing movies via mplayer using the -channels 4
> argument, but it still seems to mix all into two channels. There is
> however activity on four channels when viewing in Envy24Control.
> I theory is that there could be two things wrong, but I lack the
> skills to verify which one it is.
>
> 1. Is it possible that my default config for 1010LT is wrong.
>
> 2. The second problem could be that my Onkyo TX-SR507 reciver is not
> able to decode the PCM-stream over P/DIF correctly. I dont think thats
> the problem thought.
>

> Any ideas and tips on what might be wrong, and stuff that I can try is
> very welcome. I am at loss what to do right know. I cant find anything
> I can use on google.
>
> I have run the alsa-info.sh script and the output from that is stored at:
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=3a02befed28d8b63180bf8135861cd00ff1531ff
>

> Thank you.
> /nisse
>
> PS: I sent a version of this mail before I was a subscriber which went
> directly to the moderator, so that mail might show up here in the
> future. :DS

I had also trouble to get my spdif connection to work properly, but
I found a solution to hear my movies in surround. I know you can edit
your .asoundrc to copy the signal of the front speakers to the back
speakers,
but my receiver will do this for me, so I didn't need this.

Make sure you have a Dolby or DTS surround file and try to play it with
mplayer

mplayer -ao alsa:device=spdif -afm hwac3 <file>
maybe you have to replace "spdif" with "iec958"

good luck,

floris