Re: Microphone + AudioOut to HDMI

James Shatto wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 01:07:21 +0300
> An St <vit.b12@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > Please help. I can't get working microphone at HDMI output.
>
> HDMI audio normally has some sort of limit in place.  For my ATI
> HD4550 video card, the audio has to be transmitted in an AC3 codec(5.1
> surround).  AKA compressed, it will not work with PCM audio which
> might be where your making a connection is giving you trouble.  That
> capability might depend on your graphics card, but that's the quirk of
> mine.  Assuming that your HDMI audio is provided via a graphics card.
>
> Maybe alsa can handle the AC3 conversion transparently / internally,
> or NOT.  It's seems a bit destined for problems IMO, so I just avoid
> the issue with an RCA cable from a dedicated soundcard.  Fortunately
> my HDTV has a channel with HDMI/DVI input and RCA audio input so
> running that machine on a 42" display is possible.
>
> If my graphics card does handle PCM audio over HDMI, it's probably
> limited to 2 channels, 48kHz, 16 bit, and all that jazz.  Maybe even
> 44.1kHz.  I really haven't checked the specs that recently on it.
> But I only have one receiving device for HDMI audio (HDTV) so it's
> not a priority to explore for me.  Which is kind of ironic since the
> audio device registers and an hda-intel device.  AKA high definition
> audio.  But the limits are listed in the manual.  Not that I've
> looked at it in the past year+.

Normally it is the HDMI receiving device (i.e. the TV/monitor) which
determines which audio formats can be sent, and you should be able to
send any of the major standard compressed formats if the receiving
device accepts them.

The EDID data, read from the TV/monitor over DDC, tells the sender
(i.e. graphics card + drivers + X + apps) what formats it accepts.

It is very similar to the way EDID tells the sender what video formats
it accepts.

-- Jamie