Re: ESS Technology ES1983S Maestro-3i PCI

John Carlyle-Clarke wrote:
> I have a Dell Latitude C600 with the above audio hardware.  Alsa
> recognises it, but I cannot get any actual sound to come out.  I've
> tried the headphone socket, and I've tried all the settings in
> alsamixer.  I've also tried change the amp_gpio parameter to the module.

[snip]
> I'm stuck.  Does anyone have this hardware working, and if so, did you
> have to do anything special?

I should point out that I have seen the hits on Google that imply this
should work out of the box.  I wondered if I was experiencing a
regression, so I tried an Ubuntu 7.10 live CD, and the sound works fine
with no additional user configuration.  The system on which it does
*not* work is Archlinux (a rolling release distro, for those that aren't
familiar) on which I currently have alsa-utils 1.0.21 and kernel 2.6.31,
although it has not worked for some 6 months since I got it and
installed linux on it so I have probably had a version or two prior to that.