Re: Something like dmix for digital ouput

Le Tue, 10 Nov 2009 16:38:40 +0100,
Daniel Pelzl <pelzl@xxxxxxx> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> i use an ICE1724 chip and i want to use more then 1 app at the same time
> on the digital output.
>
> I was in the irc channel and i was said that this is only possible with
> dmix for analog outputs.
>
> Is this right?

Hi,

It was one year ago or so, I try a setup with alsa, jack + pulseaudio. After
some time, I went back to a setup with jack + pulseaudio because, 1) pulseaudio
introduced some supplementary latency, and 2) pulseaudio is much more
complicated than jack to setup properly.

If you install qjackctl with your package manager, it will install all that is
needed. In order to setup everything, you can look at
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/JACK

The default configuration pulseaudio config have changed a lot under this time
and gnome as well than the gnome applications shifted to pulseaudio. That
imply than the gnome applications will install and use pulseaudio by default.

So, this wiki article is a little bit outdated, but the fact is than my setting
with only alsa and jack needed no modification under this time. It just work
fine for me.

Note also than a real time (rt) kernel is needed only if you are using a lot of
audio computations like audio filters or synthesis. You will not need it at all
otherwise, and you will get a better stability on a non rt kernel with
server likes applications (streaming, p2p, whatever).

Dominique

> Thanks!
>
> Daniel

If this message is send to an email list, please make sure to answer onto the
list, or you will be ignored.

"We have the heroes we deserve."