Re: Trying to get Intel ICH9 (82801I) 7.1 audio to work

Hi Marc.
On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 06:30:27PM -0500, Marc Barrett wrote:
> I am using a Dell Inspiron 530.  The Intel motherboard it uses is
> capable of 7.1-channel sound right from the motherboard.  Under
> Windows, it can be configured for a variety of speaker configurations,
> up to 7 speakers plus a subwoofer.
>
> Under Linux, though, I can only get a simple stereo configuration
> to work.  None of the other outputs produce audio under Linux.
> (I am using Kubuntu 9.10)

Could you describe more of what you have done to test your audio controls? Have
you unmuted and or played with volume levels in Alsamixer and Amixer? Do you
know what codec chip you are currently using? You can find out by something
like:
# Find out how many cards are listed:
cat /proc/asound/cards
# If only card 0:
cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0
Then to see if Alsa recognizes all your inputs, aplay -l and aplay -L should
tell you. Depending on the outcome of the above commands, you may have to pass a
model parameter to your modprobe command. A list of models and their
descriptions can be found in Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt. Hope
this helps.

> Here is the output of lspci:
>
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
> 	Subsystem: Dell Device 020d
> 	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
> 	Memory at fdff4000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
> 	Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
> 	Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
> 	Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
> 	Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel <?>
> 	Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link <?>
> 	Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
> 	Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
>

> I am not all that familiar with ALSA.  If someone could suggest some
> tips to get this to work, or where I can go for answers to this, I would
> really appreciate it.

> --
> believed to be clean.

- --