Limited / No Audio on Alienware m17x

Hi All,

I've recently acquired an Alienware M17X. This has surround sound onboard using an onboard nvidia sound card that's based on the HDA Intel.

I've got Ubuntu Karmic installed on it (via a 9.04 dist-upgrade). I had no success at all with the included alsa version 1.0.20 so last night I got the latest stable 1.0.21 and compiled it.

I've had success with headphones pluggined into Front Speaker Audio Out / headphone socket which is the first socket on the right hand side of the laptop. However the onboard sub woofer and speakers don't work at all.

Output from alsa-info.sh for 1.0.21 and the daily snapshot build from November 8th are available here:

Stable compiled version 1.0.21

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=993a0b10af70fde698b0c7ae64e5d87c30fa4c6a

Latest Daily Snapshot:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=6c8ff2cae81fcc8caf267c19c91ad4c200e1194c

Can anyone help me to get my onboard speakers working please?

FYI in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf I've got:

options snd-hda-intel model=dell-eq which actually got the headphone /front speaker socket working.

Thanks,

Paul