complex splitted softvol + a52 setup

I have a card wich has an optical output and i have a surround set with
optical input.

i'm using a52 to make everything use digital out, but the sound level is way
too high.

i used
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/How_to_use_softvol_to_control_the_master_volume
and
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Splitting_front_and_rear_outputs_.asoundrc
as an example, and came up with the stuff below. But it doesn't work...

when i do 'speaker-test -c 6 -t wav -D surround51', i get "Invalid
type 'multi' for slave PCM"
when i do 'speaker-test -c 6 -t wav -D softvol_multi', i get "Device Busy"

i imagine the problem is that the route plugin doesn't really work for the
splitting... since they both need to be used at once...

Does anyone have a different idea, or some insight?

/etc/asound.conf:
----------------------

pcm.ac3_51 {
    type a52
    slavepcm "hw:0,1"
    rate 48000
    channels 6
    bitrate 448
    format S16_LE
}

pcm.ac3_front {
    type route
    slave.pcm "ac3_51"
    ttable {
        0.0 1
        1.1 1
    }
}

pcm.ac3_rear {
    type route
    slave.pcm "ac3_51"
    ttable {
        0.2 1
        1.3 1
    }
}

pcm.ac3_center {
    type route
    slave.pcm "ac3_51"
    ttable {
        0.4 1
    }
}

pcm.ac3_lfe {
    type route
    slave.pcm "ac3_51"
    ttable {
        0.5 1
    }
}

pcm.softvol_front {
    type softvol
    slave.pcm "ac3_front"
    control {
        name "AC3 Front"
        card 0
    }
}

pcm.softvol_rear {
    type softvol
    slave.pcm "ac3_rear"
    control {
        name "AC3 Rear"
        card 0
    }
}

pcm.softvol_center {
    type softvol
    slave.pcm "ac3_center"
    control {
        name "AC3 Center"
        channel 1
        card 0
    }
}

pcm.softvol_lfe {
    type softvol
    slave.pcm "ac3_lfe"
    control {
        name "AC3 LFE"
        channel 1
        card 0
    }
}

pcm.softvol_multi {
    type multi
    slaves {
        a.pcm "softvol_front"
        a.channels 2
        b.pcm "softvol_rear"
        b.channels 2
        c.pcm "softvol_center"
        c.channels 1
        d.pcm "softvol_lfe"
        d.channels 1
    }
    bindings {
        0.slave a
        0.channel 0
        1.slave a
        1.channel 1
        2.slave b
        2.channel 0
        3.slave b
        3.channel 1
        4.slave c
        4.channel 0
        5.slave d
        5.channel 0
    }
}

pcm.softvol_master {
    type softvol
    slave.pcm "softvol_multi"
    control {
        name "AC3 Master"
        card 0
    }
}

pcm.dmixer {
    type dmix
    ipc_key 123789
    ipc_key_add_uid true
    slave {
        pcm "softvol_master"
    }
}

pcm.surround51_ac3 {
        type empty
        slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.ac3_stereo {
    type route
    slave.pcm "dmixer"
    slave.channels 6
    ttable.0.0 1
    ttable.1.1 1
    ttable.0.2 1
    ttable.1.3 1
    ttable.0.4 0.5
    ttable.1.4 0.5
    ttable.0.5 0.5
    ttable.1.5 0.5
}

pcm.!default {
        type empty
        slave.pcm "ac3_stereo"
}

ctl.!default {
        type hw
        card 0
}

pcm.!surround51 {
        type empty
        slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

ctl.!surround51 {
        type hw
        card 0
}

--
AL13N is my name and head-biting is my game.