Line-in macbook pro 5,1

Hi,

I'm experiencing some problems with trying to use the line-in on my
macbook pro 5,1. I've tried the latest alsa-drivers (1.0.20) and used
the patch mentioned in
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro5-1_5-2/Jaunty to get the
sound output and microphone working. The line-in however still refuses
to playback, or record (I checked all the mixer channels and options,
also made sure to select 2 channel mode to use the line-in as an input
rather than an output).

I also tried to use the patch_realtek.c from alsa-kernel git repository
(however unwise that may be), but no luck.

Is there anybody how recognizes the issue, maybe knows in which
direction I have to look to fix it (I'm willing to patch/test, but I've
never touched ALSA before).

Some possibly useful information:

# lspci | grep Audio
00:08.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP79 High Definition Audio
(rev b1)

# head /proc/asound/card0/codec#0
Codec: Realtek ALC889A
Address: 0
Function Id: 0x1
Vendor Id: 0x10ec0885
Subsystem Id: 0x106b4000
Revision Id: 0x100103
No Modem Function Group found
Default PCM:
    rates [0x560]: 44100 48000 96000 192000
    bits [0xe]: 16 20 24

# aplay -l
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0:  []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1:  []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

# aplay -L
default:CARD=NVidia