Re: The stupidest / most basic question

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009, Robert Easter wrote:

> Here's a general purpose question that seems like it would be pretty
> common.  Whenever I install a new Linux OS I have no sound except maybe
> system sounds until I've accidentally installed or removed the right
> codec, plugin, driver, lib, or combination thereof, which works
> wonderfully until comes the time or need to make a change.  Assuming
> that Alsa is compatible with most (all?) systems, (a.) would it not be a
> good idea to have installation links in distro iso's, and (b.) what even
> is a working combination?  My current browser is, Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U;
> Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.0.12) Gecko/2009071200 SUSE/3.0.12-0.1.2
> Firefox/3.0.12 - Build ID: 2009071200, running on a 64-bit Intel laptop,
> duo-core 1.83Ghz.

Many distros do try to discover the card type and install the correct drivers
for the card. That it does not manage to do so may be a comment on your
distro, on the newness or rarity of your card, etc. Alsa is not compatible
with all systems, especially not the newest ones.
My Mandriva does manage to install the right drivers for most of the systems I
have.

We have no idea what a working combination is for your system since there is
not enough information in your comments. What problems are you having?