Need to specify card for aplay

I'm running Debian sid and don't have sound.

If I do
  bob@debian:~$aplay -D surround51:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0 ring.wav
it works fine. But if I don't explicitly specify the card:
  bob@debian:~$ aplay ring.wav
  ALSA lib pulse.c:272:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect:
  Connection refused

  aplay: main:608: audio open error: Connection refused

Also, aplay works fine, without -D, as root.

I get:
bob@debian:~$ aplay -L
front:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
    NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
    NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
surround41:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
    NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
surround50:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
    NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
surround51:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
    NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
surround71:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
    NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
iec958:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
    NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S - IEC958
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
null

I assume that my driver is installed okay. And my user belongs to the
"audio" group. Where else should I be looking for the problem?