Re: dmix oddities

>> When I play 16/44.1 flac files via mpd, the CPU stays around 95%.
>> When I play the same files via mplayer, the CPU stays around 2% and I
>> see:
>>
>> AO: [alsa] 96000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per channel)
>>
>> This is confusing for 2 reasons:
>>
>> 1. Doesn't the above indicate that the source file is not being
>> converted from 16-bit to 24-bit even though I've specified "format
>> S24_3LE"?
>
> Are you sure the hardware actually supports S24_3LE?  Most 24 bit
> soundcards require 24 bit audio to be packed into 32 bit words.  See
> if you can output S24_3LE directly to the hw device.

I don't think a USB DAC could do 24-in-32 because of the USB 24-bit limitation.

I've tried specifying S24_3LE, S24LE, S24_BE, S24_3BE, FLOAT_LE,
FLOAT_BE, and S16_LE in asound.conf.  None of them produce sound
except for S24_3LE and S16_LE.  How can I output S24_3LE directly to
the device for testing?

- Grant