no sound in ubuntu 8.10 on AD1986 sound card

Hi all,

I am facing a very perplexing issue with sound in Ubuntu 8.10 which I have never encountered before with linux. I do not hear any sound from my speakers. The sound card is AD 1986 (Analog Devices) and it worked wonderfully without any hiccups before on 8.10 and other Ubuntu versions.

My alsa-info script is here: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=7f34b4e28d97178d7f709740f91ff66ea08a9468

I suspect pulseaudio is the culprit:
Output of : /var/log/syslog | grep pulseaudio is here: http://paste.ubuntu.com/192629/

Running : speaker-test -c2 -D hw:0,0 -t wav -l1 gives no sound.

My motherboard is ASUS A8N-VM on a AMD 64 Athlon 3200 Desktop PC.The sound card is detected so no problems there.

I have reinstalled ALSA, pulseaudio and all the related packages but to no avail.

I am pretty sure this is not a problem of inadeuate support because sound was working before without any issues.

Any ideas/suggestions on how to fix this problem will be greatly appreciated. I am also raising an email bug report at alsa-devel so anyone can canter around there and provide expert help :)

Thanks,

Sandip

Sandip