What have I to do to have sound with kernel 2.6.18-128.1.10.el5 and snd-hda-intel driver ?

Hello

I left a message at

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Talk:TroubleShooting

but it seems that nobody is looking at the Wiki.
So I post it here :

In the Wiki page
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/TroubleShooting#Check_that_the_ALSA_drivers_are_compiled_as_modules
it is said :

"Make sure you have installed ALSA as modules, and not compiled into the
kernel. ALSA fails for all sorts of reasons when compiled into the
kernel (this may no longer be true for kernels after v2.6.5*).
Anything that mentions sound in the kernel config, even if it is not
directly to do with ALSA, set its option to M if you can.
If you compile your own kernel: when you configure the kernel, make sure
you see <tt>M (for module) and not (compiled into the kernel).

*Kernel v2.6.22.9 still doesn't like ALSA compiled into it, modules
work."

I am sorry, I am not able to understand and correctly use what is said
there (I am not an expert of kernel management)

So could you answer the following question :

What have I to do to have sound with an snd-hda-intel driver and kernel
I use is 2.6.18-128.1.10.el5 ?

Must I need to download all alsa things, recompile them and install them
into the kernel ?

If so, could you give on the Wiki page a more detailed procedure to do
it (understandable for non-expert).

(Of course I have no sound yet !)

Thank for using the Wiki to answer.

Best regards