increase default gain for arecord -- sphinx

I don't think my original message went through somehow.  Please forgive me if this is a repost.

Trying to use "pocketsphinx_continuous" and "pocketsphinx_tidigits" speech recognition from bash commandline on a zaurus 3200 with a wm8750 audio controller.

Basically not getting much of any recognition at all.  Thinking this is due to my alsa configuration.

I can record using sox fairly well if I increase the gain with a command such as:

rec -S -c1 -r24k test.wav vol 120

However, I'm not sure how to increase volume gains for "arecord" and/or "pocketsphinx_continuous".

"arecord" produces very silent garbled recordings.

I already have my input source maxed out in alsamixer. Any ideas how to set the default gain of alsa higher?

It's been suggested to me that my wm8750 driver is broken, but aside from rebuilding sources, is there a way to increase default input gain in alsa?