Re: emu10k1 & jackd not working with realtime Kernel

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 19:01:48 +0200
Matthias Mann <matthias-m@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i had installed the realtime kernel 2.6.26.8-rt16 on a debian
> linux 5.0 (Lenny). Cause jackd don't like realtime mode i've
> searched on google and i found this page:
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Low_latency_howto
>
> Okay, that's great. I did all what is described in this howto,
> except compiling and installing of the ALSA driver und libraries.
> I thing the debian packages should do the same, or not?
>
> But i can do what i want (had googled and googled and so on
> and i tried much more) but if i like to start jackd with -R option i
> always get this message:
>
> cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 10) [for thread
> 1988003552, from thread 1988003552] (1: Operation not permitted)
>
> My soundcard is a soundblaster live Platinum. Version of jackd
> is 0.109.2
>
> Do you have any idea?
>
> Much greetings,
> Matthias

I vaguely remember that you have to add your user ID to "audio" group
or something like this.

The point is that increasing priority normally requires root
privileges, and in order to enable doing this by non-root that group
was created.

Regards,
  Sergei.