HP tx2z sound problem

Hi,

I have an HP tx2z with ALC268 on AMD64 platform.  I got it late January of this year.  Promptly, I installed ubuntustudio64 on it.  According some threads in ubuntuforums.org, I have setup this computer to a very satisfactory status.  Starting about 2 weeks after I have ubuntustudio64 installed, sound started to develop a problem:

1. The front speakers would all of a sudden mute itself when the volume is high during the playing of music or video, even though the sound was fine before they mute themselves.

2. The only way to bring the sound back is to issue a beep of pc speaker, after I lower the sound level.

3. Headphone jack has no output - I have no sound output to headphones.  Auto-sensing also failed.

4. All these symptoms happened so suddenly after about 2 weeks time when sound was playing properly to front speakers or  headphone with auto-sensing.

5. I was hoping a hardware defect (as it then can be fixed or whole unit replaced), but after I contacted HP support and they sent me a set of recovery DVDs of Vista.

6. I bought a second 2.5" SATA harddrive to install Vista on, and to my very shocking, the sound output of front speakers and headphone are working properly under Vista!!!

7. I put back the original harddisk and reinstalled ubuntu 8.10, either 32bit or 64bit, but the sound problem described above is still there.

I have always put options snd-indel-hda model=toshiba  into /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base, and all other users of ubuntu have reported this options working fine for tx2z.

8. I then installed Alsa 1.0.19 and tried all model options of ALC268 documented in HD-Audio-Models.txt file, but the problem is still there.

I guess the puzzling part is 1). it used to work; 2).  other tx2z work; 3), speakers work under Vista; 4). BUT, it is not working.

Has anyone else experienced such behavior?  Is there a solution?

Thanks,

Vincent

This e-mail, including any attachment(s), is intended solely for use by the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to disclose, copy, distribute or retain this message, without written authorization from Jennison Associates LLC ("Jennison"). This e-mail may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately. If you have requested Jennison to e-mail any account information to you or your designee, you are deemed to have consented to electronic delivery of information from Jennison. E-mail messages are not secure and may contain computer viruses or other defects, may not be accurately replicated on other systems, or may be intercepted, deleted or interfered with without the knowledge of the sender or the intended recipient.