Audio playback issues

Hello,

I have been having a weird problem playing back audio from time to time
on my computer.  From time to time, the audio 'stutters' for a number of
seconds (usually for longer than 50 seconds).  It sounds like the sound
device is stuck (quickly repeating what it had in its buffers over and
over again), then suddenly becomes unstuck.  The player quickly moves
forward through the media to catch up with the lost time, but then gets
stuck again for another > 50 second period.  I am using a player from a
package called BlueTune that contains ALSA output capabilities.  I have
not tried aplay or any other open players yet, but can do so.  I am
attempting to find a set of tests that can reproduce the issue more
quickly, as it currently takes a number of hours to reproduce.

The motherboard has a VIA CN700 controller, and the sound device is an
AC97 controller (VIA 8237) with a Realtek ALC655 codec.  I have more
than 1 of the same motherboard and have been able to reproduce this
issue.  I have been trying to reproduce it on another motherboard (an
Intel 830M chipset with a Sigmatel STAC9758 codec) but it hasn't
happened again yet (I haven't had it running for very long so far).  All
systems are Debian Etch-based, with a custom 2.6.28.7 kernel and using
alsa-driver 1.0.19.  I have tried the 2.6.29 kernel on one of the
systems and it has had the problem too (with alsa-driver 1.0.19).

alsa-info.sh info here:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=c0eb72dd7fb916c71435c194f32c3a22c08e23e6

Has anybody else seen this kind of problem before?  I can provide more
information if you need it.

Thanks in advance,
Ron