Re: Trying to use two sound cards at the same time

Poulet Fou wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have two sound cards, one attached to pc speakers and one attached
> to a sound system in another room.
> Following instructions on the alsa project wiki, I am trying to use
> two sound cards (V8237 and CA0106).
> I configure my ~/.asoundc but I still can't manage to send a sound to
> both cards at the same time. Below is my ~/.asoundrc content.
> When I tested directly the ca0106 card (hw:0,0) with a play, it didn't
> work so I thought it might be some sort of rate or conversion problem.
> I added the pcm.via and pcm.audigy in my asoundrc file and then, when
> I test each card individually ("via" and "audigy") with aplay it works
> well.
> When testing the "multi" pcm with aplay (  aplay -vD multi
> question.wav ), I get the following error
> aplay: set_params:959: Nombre de canaux non disponible (Channels count
> non available)
>
> Any help or suggestions are welcome
> PF
>
> ~/.asoundrc content
> --------------------------------
> pcm_slave.via_rate {
>         pcm "hw:1,1"
>         rate 48000
>         channels 2
> }
> pcm.via {
>         type plug
>         slave via_rate
> }
> pcm_slave.audigy_rate {
>         pcm "hw:0,0"
>         rate 48000
>         channels 2
> }
> pcm.audigy {
>         type plug
>         slave audigy_rate
> }
> pcm.multi {
>     type multi
>     slaves.a.pcm "audigy"
>     slaves.a.channels 2
>     slaves.b.pcm "via"
>     slaves.b.channels 2
>     bindings.0.slave a
>     bindings.0.channel 0
>     bindings.1.slave a
>     bindings.1.channel 1
>     bindings.2.slave b
>     bindings.2.channel 0
>     bindings.3.slave b
>     bindings.3.channel 1
> }
> ctl.multi {
>     type hw
>     card 0
> }

The probably easiest way to do this would be to use a sound server like
pulseaudio.  It can create a stream to all cards installed on your
system. Pulseaudio can be found in most distribution repositories. It
can be configured easily and also works with most applications. A setup
and configuration guide can be found here:
http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
greetings,
Philipp