Re: Installing alsa

Stan S wrote:

> Last year, when I found the distro sidux, I had no sound after
> installing sidux. It took some study, effort and requests for help to
> get sound working. I'm no expert in Linux but I got sound working in
> sidux.
>
> I still have the same computer that had sidux as OS. But due to a
> recent problem with my current and new ISP having a problem dealing
> with apt-get, I lost the old version of sidux and was forced to
> install the latest version of sidux. I again have no sound. I
> downloaded and installed the various alsa packages (driver, lib, and
> utils, all being version 1.0.19) but I must have done something wrong
> over the past few days while I continued to try to figure out why
> sound was absent even though I knew the hardware was OK.
>
> I've checked the usual things, such as looking at what's muted in kmix
> and making sure that sound is enabled in K > Control Ctr > Sound &
> Multimedia > Sound System. I ran alsaconf which didn't help.
> [**Incidentally, alsaconf which did show my sound electronics a few
> days ago, now doesn't even show my Intel integrated sound
> electronics!** I thought the bios had been changed but see that sound
> is enabled and PnP is too.] [alsaconf has also vanished from the K menu.]
>
> /etc/modprobe.d/sound  is also now missing. How is that restored?
>
> Here's some command outputs that might help you help me. If you need
> any other outputs, please tell me.
>
> $ lsmod | grep snd
> snd_intel8x0 28856 1
> snd_ac97_codec 102144 1 snd_intel8x0
> ac97_bus 1532 1 snd_ac97_codec
> snd_pcm_oss 37696 0
> snd_mixer_oss 14620 1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm 73888 3 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_seq_oss 31296 0
> snd_seq_midi_event 6876 1 snd_seq_oss
> snd_seq 50288 4 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
> snd_timer 20580 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
> snd_seq_device 7016 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
> snd 56420 11
> snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
> soundcore 7136 1 snd
> snd_page_alloc 8868 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
>
> [end of output from lsmod | grep snd ]
>
> sound info part from the output of lspci -vv:
>
> 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
> (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
>   Subsystem: IBM Device 1f00
>   Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
> <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
>   Latency: 0
>   Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 17
>   Region 0: I/O ports at 6000 [size=256]
>   Region 1: I/O ports at 6400 [size=64]
>   Region 2: Memory at 80200000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
>   Region 3: Memory at 80200400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
>   Capabilities: <access denied>
>   Kernel driver in use: Intel ICH
>
> [end of output]

> [...]
Hey Stan,
have you tried to install the alsa-base and alsa-utils packages from
your distribution, before you tried to compile those by yourself? Sidux
uses the original Debian-repositories afair, so "sudo aptitude install
alsa-base alsa-utils" might help you with your problem.
Asoundconf, aplay, alsamixer, etc. sometimes disappear when you compile
alsa by hand while your distro already had it installed. You probably
could solve this by reinstalling alsa as mentioned above.
Did you try to run those commands as root? Perhaps they only got moved
to /usr/sbin/
If all this does not show any success, then try to run "alsamixer" and
play around with the switches.
I hope, I was able to help you,
Philipp