Re: Analog line in output via IEC958?

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Antony Gelberg
<antony.gelberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> .asoundrc that you see in the above link.  I would like to plug something into
> the analogue line in and have it be output via the IEC958 as well.  However,
> it is only output via the analogue line out, not the optical.  How can I get
> this to work?

Antony,

I don't know of a solution for you under linux, but perhaps this will
jog the memory of someone who is more knowledgeable about such
things...

Under Windows, with my nvidia sound, the nvmixer app used to have an
option "digitize input".  I see this option is gone now, so I wonder
if nvidia had problems with it and nuked it, or if they just hide it
somehow.

My desktop setup used to consist of two computers, one monitor and a
pair of digital speakers.  One of the computers would output analog
audio to the second, which would digitize it, mix it with its own
audio and output to my digital speakers.  I don't recall any delay,
but never really paid attention to those details.

If there's a switch for it under windows, and it is a function of the
chipset rather than the software, is it possible to turn it on under
linux?

-Gordon