Re: ALSA support for old ISA card?

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 18:18:48 -0700
Landis McGauhey <b3zdomny@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello, all,
>
> I'm working with an older transitional motherboard with a Pentium III
> processor and that, believe it or not, has two ISA ports and one of them is
> occupied by the soundcard (this is a non-profit organization-- a church on
> tight budget-- and thus the older equipment).  I loaded Debian 5,
> 2.6.26-1-686 kernel, Gnome Display Environment, and the printer, display
> adapter, and NIC are supported just fine.  My last challenge is enabling the
> soundcard.
>
> ALSACONF recognizes the soundcard as "SBAWE Creative SB AWE64 PnP" and
> completes its work without errors.  However, when I try the generic Gnome
> volume control, it results in the error message "volume ctrl=no volume
> control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found".Command ALSAMIXER results in
> the error message "function snd_ctl_open failed for default:  no such
> device".
>
> I found a post in the archives about this card, but the post is five years
> old and I think it's obsolete.  Any tips on getting ALSA to support this ISA
> card, or do you think I should just suggest my client get a PCI sound card
> (several PCI expansion slots are available)?  Because the church is on a
> budget, I really would like to get the ISA card working, to spare any
> expense.
>
> Any tips or assistance would be appreciated.  If you need some output from
> DMESG, just let me know.
>
> Thanks from North-Central California, USA,
>
> Landis

In somewhat gambling style try a, say, 4-5 year old Live CD. I think they
can still be downloaded, try the ibiblio.org archive, for example.

An old KNOPPIX or MEPIS might quite well serve the purpose.

10 or so years ago I had my SB ISA card working under Linux, though I
do not exactly remember the card type.

Regards,
  Sergei.