Re: Redirecting alsa stream over network?

Tomas Gustavsson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> First I want to apologise for my failing grammatic knowledge of the English
> language and for my lacking understanding of ALSA.
>
> I wondered if it was possible to take a steam from a single application and
> stream it over the network in some sort of way? This may take a lot of coding
> perhaps so is it possible to write the stream to a single mp3-file which is
> streamed over the network with some DLNA solution?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Best regards
> /Tomas Gustavsson

Hi,

maybe you could use the file plugin. If you could manage to write to a
named pipe (FIFO) you could then read the data comming in, process it
and then send it over to another machine (maybe using netcat). In bash
something like the following should do the read, convert and sending
thing: cat somefilename | lame -b 192 - | nc -p 29528
remote.machine.com. On the receiving machine it would be: nc -l -p 29528
| lame --decode - | aplay.

I would prefer a more sophisticated approach like something written in C
but for testing purposes this should be enough. But be warned: this is
just one of these ideas I have sometimes. I never tested this. And be
sure to connect your pipes before sending any data to them! Maybe "man 7
fifo" is of some help.

If that works please let me know.

Cheers, Jan