Unable to configure ASUS A7V sound card with Alsa

I have an ASUS A7V motherboard that contains an integrated video, sound, and ethernet card. The sound card is an AC97. Currently Fedora Core 9 is installed with kernel 2.6.25-16 which is the default available with this release (this also uses udev).

I've attempted to compile the kernel in two modes. One of them is with all of the AC97 drivers built into the kernel, and the other is as modules. So far nothing I've done has allowed me to have the card detected, including trying all of the AC97 modules (ATI, Intel, and VIA). Moreover, I know the card is an AC97 since I have the manual available.

The output from lspci -v shows all of the hardware, except for the sound card. What steps do I need to follow in order to have the sound work?

Thanks for your help.

stonee