Re: USB Sound Devices vs. On-Board Audio

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Xelatec wrote:

> I have a case where an Centos 5.2 O/S on an Intel Atom motherboard
> properly recognizes the on-board Intel sound system. If I hot plug in 4
> USB sound devices they are configured and work.
>
> But if I boot the system with the 4 USB sound devices attached, they are
> configured but the on-board Intel sound system is gone.

Why in the world would you want 5 sound cards? They are not synchronized so
will drift apart.

The intel system should be in the /etc/modprobe.conf file if you do
modprobe of that sound card you could see what happens.

PS, this has more to do with your distro than with alsa. Apparently alsa works
fine for you.