CS4281 stuttering on ARM

Hi,

I have a CS4281 controller with a CS4297A codec on a ipdx425 ARM
(running in big endian mode) system with Linux 2.6.20.3 and I'm having
some problem getting the sound to work correctly.

I have cross compiled the driver, lib and utility package and insmoded
the modules without any complaints and I have set up the asoundrc file
according to http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-cs4281.
But when I try to initialize the card with alsactl init I get:

Unknown hardware: "CS4281" "Cirrus Logic CS4299 rev 4"
"AC97a:43525934" "0x0000" "0x0000"
Hardware is initialized using a guess method

Yet channels and such seems to be turned on correctly when I check it
with amixer. However when I try to play a wav file using aplay (for
example the Side_Right.wav that comes with alsa) all sound I get is a
stuttering "Sa sa sa sa sa sa sa" that eventually turns into a "id id
id id id id id..." and just continue like that seemingly forever.

Anyone that could give me some advice on what I might have done wrong
or forgotten?

Thanks
/Leon Ljunggren