hda_intel with external DAC

Hello,

I'm using Debian testin with a

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 02)

should be ALC889a, dmesg tells:
[16267.724330] hda_codec: Unknown model for ALC882, trying auto-probe from
BIOS...

Until now I used the normal line-out, which was working fine and mixing was
no problem.

I now got a Beresford DAC
http://www.beresford.me/PP/Stereo_Audio_Digital_to_Analogue_Converter_.html
which is connected coaxial.

[19:06:03] condor@meridian:~$ aplay -L
default:CARD=Intel
    HDA Intel, ALC882 Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC882 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC882 Analog
surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC882 Analog
surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC882 Analog
surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC882 Analog
surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC882 Analog
iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC882 Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
null

Using the following .asoundrc

pcm.hda-intel {
      type hw
      card 0
}

ctl.hda-intel {
    type hw
    card 0
}

I can listen to multiple streams (flash, amarok, xmms, whatever).
But I'm wondering, if this alsa setup is resampling 44.1Khz to 48Khz.

When I use the following .asoundrc
pcm.!default iec958:Intel

The audio devices get's locked by a single application, which is not nice.

My DAC doesn't decode AC3/DTS streams, so I can't feed it with those
directly. (Does Headphone 2.0 xine Setting upsample?)

I'd need:

- no resampling in terms of 44.1 <-> 48
BUT
- decoding of those AC3/DTS streams

How are my .asoundrc / xine / player configs expected to lookalike?