Re: Creative X-Fi or snd-sbxfi driver help?

On Sunday 18 January 2009 11:53:36 Marek Dmao wrote:
> I'm trying to get my Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi card to finally work on my computer running Ubuntu 8.10 amd_64.  I'm pretty sure its the emu20k1 chipset.  I've been following the issue for quite a while on the alsa-dev mailing list and know that a driver was being worked on until Creative released an open source version of their beta driver.  I've also read somewhere that for a while there was some support for the driver in the trunk for the alsa-driver but that it was moved to a branch.  I can't find it, I can't compile it, I can't manage to do anything.  The installation pages for ALSA have proven none too helpful, and the README for the Creative driver reads, "make, make install" with no mention of dealing with errors.  I really hope someone can step me through this process as I have very little experience dealing with compiling, linux kernels, and everything else involved in trying to get either the Creative public beta or the latest alsa builds to work.

I use something like this in a bash script... works, even S/PDIF i/o...

 pkgname=ctxfi
 pkgver=1.0.0
 destdir="/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/ssound/$pkgname.ko"

 cd /path/to/some/where
 wget http://ccftp.creative.com/manualdn/Drivers/AVP/10792/0x0343D29A/xfidrv_linux_public_us_$pkgver.tar.gz
 tar xf xfidrv_linux_public_us_$pkgver.tar.gz
 cd XFiDrv_Linux_Public_US_$pkgver

 sed -i 's|sbin/lsmod|bin/lsmod|' Makefile
 make
 sudo install -Dm644 $pkgname.ko $destdir

--markc