Re: hda-intel nvhdmi codec not working ... wait no, it is working!

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 12:14 AM, Darren Hart <darren@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Trying to get hdmi audio out on an Acer Aspire X1200.
>
> With 1.0.18a, I only have one codec available for hda-intel nvidia
> 8200 board - the realtek one.  If I compile with only the nvhdmi one:
>
> ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel"
> ALSA_CARD_OPTIONS="hda-codec-nvhdmi"
> ALSA_DEBUG="y"

Trying to understand this better, I recompiled with

ALSA_CARDS="all"
ALSA_CARD_OPTIONS="all"
ALSA_DEBUG="y"

With this, I get no sound cards and a dmesg error when trying to load
snd-hda-intel (something about codev failure -22 ... sorry can't find
the log).  So apparently having both the realtek and the nvhdmi codecs
compiled in is a "bad idea" ?

With just the nvidia one compiled in I can play via mplayer with:

mplayer  -ao alsa:device=plughw=0.3 test.wav

And if I add the following to ~/.asoundrc I can play with just "-ao
alsa" and know magic device naming.

defaults.pcm.!device 3

And in MythTV I am even able to do multi-channel audio passthrough for
my AVR to decode.  Very cool!

This seems to mess up aplay -L though, as it will no longer list the
default pcm, and only lists the null device - even though things
continue to work.  Can anyone explain that to me?

So for my last effort of the night I'll turn off debug and see if it
still works :)  Then I'll yank that phones to RCA cable out of there
and FINALLY by completely digital!
--
Darren Hart