troubles configuring SPDIF output on nforce3

Hello list.

I've got some trouble configuring the digital output of my builtin
nforce3 audio card. More exactly, I cannot manage to use both my digital
(HIFI speakers) and my analogic (PC speakers) at once, whereas it works
OK under windows.

With snd_intel8x0 loaded, alsa see one card with thow distinct devices:
[root@netchaiev Desktop]# aplay -l
card 0: CK8S [NVidia CK8S], device 0: Intel ICH [NVidia CK8S]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CK8S [NVidia CK8S], device 2: Intel ICH - IEC958 [NVidia CK8S -
IEC958]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

>From http://alsa.opensrc.org/.asoundrc, I understood I had to set a
virtual device that would combine both devices in one, and make it the
default, as most applications (audacious, gstreamer) don't allow to
select arbitrary alsa aliases. I tried this configuration without success:

pcm.both {
	type route;
	slave.pcm {
		type multi;
		slaves.a.pcm {
			type hw
			card 0
			device 0
		}
		slaves.a.channels 2;
		slaves.b.pcm {
			type hw
			card 0
			device 2
		}
		slaves.b.channels 2;
		bindings.0.slave a;
		bindings.0.channel 0;
		bindings.1.slave a;
		bindings.1.channel 1;
		bindings.2.slave b;
		bindings.2.channel 0;
		bindings.3.slave b;
		bindings.3.channel 1;
	}
	ttable.0.0 1;
	ttable.1.1 1;
	ttable.2.2 1;
	ttable.3.3 1;
}
ctl.both {
	type hw;
	card 0;
}

pcm.!default plug:both

>From http://alsa.opensrc.org/DigitalOut, I understand I also had to set
IEC958 channel to PCM out, but I can't manage to do it. Alsamixer for my
default card has three IEC958-related channels:
- IEC958 (a simple switch)
- IEC958 playback AC97-SPSA (a volume slide)
- IEC958 playback source (a 3 position setting)
I don't understand exactly the relationship between all the channels
present for this device, and the fact than alsa seems to consider my
card as two different devices.

I also have an old sblive card, with an additional port replication
card, including SPDIF in and out. I plugged in, in order to try if it
would be simpler to configure, but despite loading snd_emu10k1, alsa
don't even recognize it (/proc/asound/cards only display nforce3 and
MPU-401 cards). I wonder if sound support for this older card is worth
debugging the issue.

I'm using Mandriva Linux, on i386, with kernel 2.6.27.5. Alsa version is
 1.0.18.